Everybody knows that all members of the bridal party are not created equal. Your maid of honor gets special treatment — and for good reason. She’s your right-hand gal, your ride or die, the captain and CEO of Team Bride. So why not give her a couple of wedding day touches that make her stand out?
If you’re looking for some amazing ways to ensure that your MOH feels totally appreciated and that everyone knows who’s the bride’s number one bestie, you’ve got to give her a little bit of extra glitz and glam on your special day.
How do you guarantee that she feels like royalty? It’s all about creating a cohesive look while still differentiating her from the rest of your bridesmaids with a unique bridesmaid dress, head-turning accessories and wow-worthy gifts. Here are some of our best ideas.
- Style Her in an Accent Piece — If you’d like your maid of honor’s differentiator to be somewhat subtle, simply add an eye-catching accent piece that’s slightly different than the ones worn by your bridesmaids. For example, you can have her dress up her gown with a glitzy rhinestone sash (which, by the way, you can totally make yourself) or invite her to wear a pretty hairpiece that’s bigger or more glammed out than the rest.
- Have Her Pick a Different Dress ‐ Whether you’re going the mismatched bridesmaid dress route or prefer a consistent look but want your MOH’s dress to be just a little bit different, you can nail it with the right dress combo. One of the simplest ways to differentiate Ms. MOH is with a dress in a slightly different shade or texture of your core color — i.e., put her in a sequined blush dress and have the other girls wear matte blush gowns. She can also opt for a style in the same color as the rest of the crew but in a different shape. Maybe she’ll want to stand out completely with a bridesmaid jumpsuit? The opportunities are totally limitless.
- Make Her Bouquet a Little Bigger — When you’re consulting with your florist, he or she may suggest that you create a maid of honor bouquet that piles on the pizzazz. One of the best ways to handle this is to have your florist make a smaller version of your bouquet for your MOH that’s still a little bigger than the rest of the ladies. You could also have all the bridesmaids, maid of honor included, carry smaller versions of your bouquet and make your MOH’s stand out with a different bouquet stem wrap or flowers in a slightly different color.
- Let Her Match the Bride — This option is perfect for the bride and bestie or sis who have always loved to match, especially the two who may or may not have had 100 different best friend necklaces. Whether you put her in a white dress (who says bridesmaids can’t wear white?) or have her match your hairstyle and accessories, the matchy-matchy route always makes lifelong best friends completely giddy.
- Spoil Her with Special Jewelry — Jewelry is by far one of the best ways to make your bridesmaids feel extra-special and to help them create a cohesive look right down to their necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. If you’re looking for a way to highlight your MOH’s status while also surprising her with an over-the-top gift, let her open an extra-special piece of jewelry that you picked just for her. Just make sure it’s something she can wear on your wedding day to stand out.
- Dress Her in a Pattern — These days, patterned bridesmaid dresses are all the rage — and we’re not complaining! The thing is, they can look a bit much when everyone’s drowning in busy patterns. We love the idea of letting your maid of honor rock the fresh print while the rest of your ladies stroll down the aisle in a solid accent color. For example, you can pick a pretty pink floral gown for your queen maid and then have the rest of the crew sport solid-colored pink styles. Go crazy with flowers, dots, stripes or brocade!
- Style Her Hair Differently — You can take the different hairstyle route in two ways. Either have the rest of the crew do their hair in the same way and have your MOH rock something totally different or let everyone pick their own hairstyle (this is usually how it goes) and then dress up your best gal’s style with an extra-glamorous hairpiece. Whether your vibe is total royalty and you let her rock a jewel-encrusted tiara or you’re going boho-chic and want to bring out her inner flower child with a dramatic floral crown, you can’t go wrong when you let her stand out in the hair department.
- Add a Unique Touch — It’s all about the details. You don’t have to go over the top to make your MOH stand out — unless that’s your style, then totally go for it. Something as simple as a small rhinestone brooch or a pair of statement shoes can take her look from basic to regal and worthy of a queen. You might also surprise her with a special manicure or pedicure so all the little details are just a little bit sweeter.
Saying Thanks to Your Best Bridesmaid
Highlighting your maid of honor is about more than just bridal party status. It’s also about letting her know that you appreciate all that she’s done for you throughout your life and as you prepared for your big day. After all, your maid of honor is someone you trust completely to help you tie it all together flawlessly and to lean on when the going gets tough. Anything you can do to shower her in a million thanks will be totally appreciated!